Monday 3 March 2008

An Update!

It has been a while. Again. So much has changed since my last update, so I'll have to work in order of priority.

I am now officially an Honours student in Chemistry at the University of Sydney. It has been about four weeks now, so I think I am settled. My official project title is "Synthesis of vicinal chiral diamines", but unofficially, we're looking at new ways to make Praziquantel, the drug used to treat Schistosomiasis or Bilharzia. I'm loving it in the lab. The research group is full of fantastic people. I have a fellow Honours student and we get along well, so that's important. I get into the lab around 8am most days, home time is usually after 6pm. This leaves me knackered, but I love it. Pardon the nerdiness, but I like what I do.

I think, more importantly, I have a new friend in the lab that I can depend on. I call him my lab angel because he's full of good ideas. Not only that, but we seem to be able to talk about anything and everything. It's difficult to describe. He manages to point out new ways of thinking about things. Be it chemistry, life, people, objects. It's actually quite refreshing, to borrow a phrase, to talk to someone like him. Come end of semester, I am going to miss him when he leaves.

In other news, my tonsils healed nicely. I haven't been sick since and I'm loving this new, healthy me. It just makes pushing the boundaries a little easier. It seemed that everything was related to everything else, so getting well was a little difficult. Now that they are gone, I can eat and sleep properly. I'd highly recommend getting them removed. Only if necessary of course.

My dear boy and I are going well. We do have disagreements but they are always sorted out and I'm happy with that. It just seems to be ambling along like a happy turtle. Going nowhere fast, with no particular direction. It's like we're cruising along. Lovely stuff.

My ex persisted over the last few months and I desisted. I don't think I want to be friends. At least, not now. Not after these last few months. And we all know, that the more I'm pushed to talk, the more I stay silent. Compounded by the fact that I don't want to talk anyway. I (finally) explicitly asked him to stop contacting me a week ago, only to have him send me an email. I think it's the whole control bit, must-have-last-word mentality. Either way, I'm hoping that is the end of it.

I'm loving my life right now. It has been a while since I've said it and I'm finally glad to be somewhere good.

2 comments:

Stace said...

Yay! So cool that everything's good for you. I have no idea what Schistosomiasis or Bilharzia is. I'll google it in a minute. We have to catch up when I'm in Canberra - we'll only be a couple of hours away! :)

Anonymous said...

Actually I think you've always just been stubborn, and it doesn't matter if you're pushed to talk, or asked politely - If you don't want to talk, you'll be as rude as you like, as long as it suits your personal whim. Just my observation. Its well overdue for you to grow up.